Thursday, September 18, 2008

Flashback: My year at the ETH

I can't believe it's been so long! Ten years ago I was starting off the adventure of my life as an exchange student at the ETH in Zuerich. Back then, it was a bit of a struggle at times to get access to a computer in the computer lab. I couldn't attach images to my emails. I didn't have a digital camera: the majority of my stipend was used for purchasing and developing film. Instead, I tried to describe everything in emails I sent home to all my friends and family back home. It was as much of a diary for me as it was correspondence with my loved ones: everything was so cool and new and intriguing that I wanted to share it all!

So, in honor of those memories and in light of the technological advancements, (at least in my little world!), the next installments of my travels will be reliving those adventures from 1998-1999.

It is my hope to eventually insert the photos and sketches that were meant to have accompanied these letters home, and turn my written descriptions into something more like the sketchbooks that traveled with me faithfully during this year.

Happy travels! :)

ps: this series is intended as a compilation of all of my writing, sketches, photos and mementos from the year. The text is typically only what I wrote then. However, since I didn't write about every adventure, I'm supplementing where necessary with my current memories of my travels. This later text is in italics.

No comments: