Friday, March 20, 2009

Flashback: 05.09.1998-Berlin, part 2

Monday, October 19, 1998 8:39 AM

Hi, I'm back already!

There's a limit of 30 min on these computeres due to demand, so I'll try to be quick.:

Allison and I walked to the Gedaechtniskirche, the big bombed out cathedral.
980905-02-Gedaechtniskirche

It was rebuilt in 3 pieces surrounding the old shell, to be used still today as a church.
980905-01-Gedaechtniskirche

Allison and I wlaked in the new part and happened to be just in time for an organ concert! SO we went in and sat down. The acoustics were not good at all- I don't know if that was the case in the whole church, or just where we happened to sit- but certainly not like the Semperoper! (side note- I think this part was lost in the first email, too, so I'll explain later) The cathedral was just a tall octagonal shell, very simple, as though the walls were big square concrete blocks turned on their sides. The opening in each block was filled with cobalt blue stained glass, but in much smaller pieces, so that the solid plane of glowing blue that you see at first begins to break up into a smaller, shattered, almost crystalline design. And as you stare longer, you begin to realize that there are splashes of bright red and bright yellow among the sea of blue, many quite large. After a while I began t othink I could make out patterns in the glass, but I think I was just imagining it, just like seeing constellations in the sky. Directly in front of us was a large sculpture of Jesus, with his arms outstretched like he was on the cross, but I don't think the cross was actually there. It was a very modern design, and I have no idea what it was made of- it could have been papier-mache for all I knew. But it was either painted gold or gold-leafed, and there were lights shining on it so that there was a warm golden glow around him, against the glowing blue that encompassed the entire cathedral. It creates a very mesmorizing effect, and I thoroughly enjoyed spending an hour just soaking in the experience.
Gedaechtniskirche

When the concert ended it was getting late, and we found something to eat and headed back to the train station so we could catch our train to Rome.

So that was my experience in Berlin. Like I said before, it's a very overwhelming city, but one I would like to go back to someday.



As for right now, I just spent the week in Prague, which is an
absolutely incredible city, and my classes start tomorrow.

Talk to you soon!
Mit liebe,
Cory :)

No comments: