Friday, March 20, 2009

Flashback: 30.09.1998- thoughts by the Zürichsee

They appear out of nowhere, out of the clouds, almost as though they were an illusion. But no, they’re real, even though they seem to be out of proportion with their setting, given their distance and coloring. How’s it possible for such mountains in the sky to exist?

981000-6-Bergen im Himmel

How is it possible that I’m here staring at them?

As quietly as they emerge from the sky they disappear again. I feel incredibly lucky to be here at this moment.
981009-04-SprachkursFeier

Wallishofen Bahnhof- Boothaltestelle. Very peaceful here.
981000-3-Zurichseeufer

“Turicum” – name of boat, ancient name of Zürich.

Gentle lapping of the water against the wall, squawks of all the ducks and masked water birds. The black ones sound like the little rubber horns on a kid’s bike.

The church bells ring at 6 pm.

Such a beautiful sound that I don’t hear at home! Not just 6 times to mark the hour, but 40-50 times! I stopped counting- ringing as though to let the whole world hear, then finally dying off.

The sun is warming my back as I face the water. Two people glide by in a crew boat. I can see them straining, yet it seems so effortless.
981000-4-Maedchen

I can hear a dog barking across the lake, and the tram rumbling by behind me.

A cygnet just swam by, chirping with its almost laryngetic voice. It looks so soft and fuzzy, and almost the color of fuzzy homasote. (what a dumb comparison!)
981000-2-Swans

I love the water at this time of day. Any turmoil that was there during the day is reduced to a ripple. The water keeps its blue coloring, as everything else gains a soft orange glow. Bit by bit this peach-ish hue appears in the ripples of the water as well, as the noise of the day dies down.

No comments: