Friday, March 20, 2009

Flashback: 25.10.1998- Panoramaweg

took a walk along Panorama Weg:

This is beautiful! To be able to walk out my door in one direction & head right into the city, and the next day walk right up a mountain, in the middle of the woods, where all seems untouched (not really, though- clearly marked Wanderwegs, benches, bridges over streams, etc.) it’s refreshing to walk along here, to feel like I’m getting away from the city, even though I can still see and hear it below. Where I’m sitting I can see the lake directly in front of me, the deep blue of a clear fall day, with a few stark white sailboats gliding along, the city half-hidden to the left, but still reaching around the other side of the lake, the sun shining through the trees to my right, the low drone of the Autobahn between me and the lake, a dog barking in the distance, a cow bell dinging, people walking along the Wanderweg just behind me, 2 hours passing by, and a bird calling overhead, the wind blowing softly through the trees and my hair.

I would never find this at home- a protected “wilderness” – an Erholungsgebiet – so close to a city – it would all be suburbs in the states – “Panorama Estates”, or something like that. You’d have to travel so much further to find this.

Noone ever says “I think I’ll go to the suburbs this weekend.”

No comments: